A worldwide network of product development engineers and technology: Intent on elevating customer capabilities.
MinebeaMitsumi Aerospace companies empower today’s ever-evolving flight platforms through the development of new technologies — along with dramatic improvements in existing components.
Through subscale to full scale testing, the highly experienced development/testing engineers in our New Product Development (NPD) centers partner with customers early in the bearing systems design phase. They continue to be an invaluable resource from project launch through post-production commercialization.
MinebeaMitsumi Aerospace engineers also stay on the leading edge of industry and technological trends: knowing how new exotic materials and specialized coatings — along with proprietary lubricants and machining processes — can lead to substantial performance breakthroughs.
Customer-focused design innovation:
For performance and manufacture.
The specialized capabilities of our NPD centers continue to expand and evolve through technology investments driven by our customers’ real-world needs and challenges. The overarching mission is to create solutions that deliver transformative performance improvements through cost-effective “design for manufacture” products.
Key focus areas include:
- Adoption of hybrid ceramic bearings into critical aero-engine applications
- Advanced manufacturing methods and technologies, including additive manufacturing
- Self-lubricating liner technology
- Smart bearing systems to predict and detect the onset of failure
- New materials to handle increasingly demanding environments
Global capabilities for testing and validation.
With R&D and test facilities in North America, Europe and Asia, our capabilities range from standards-based testing of new materials/processes — to custom fullscale testing under commercial application conditions — to validations of complete bearing assemblies for commercialization.
Bringing the knowledge and insight of all MinebeaMitsumi Aerospace companies to bear on customer-specific problems and challenges, our NPD centers are continually refining testing capabilities in lockstep with the needs of the industry. In recent years alone, we’ve achieved a high degree of technical readiness in high speed rolling element bearing testing for mainshaft and gearbox applications — while expanding test capabilities for landing gear and helicopter applications.
Specialized capabilities include:
- Elemental testing for basic technology research and feasibility studies (TRL1-TRL3)
- Subscale testing for technology development and demonstration (TRL4-TRL7)
- Full scale testing for full assembly development and commercialization (TRL9)
- Ball and roller bearing development and testing: high speed and endurance
- Rod end and spherical bearing development and testing: endurance, combined load, fatigue testing, unidirectional oscillation, custom configurations
- Testing to industry standards or customer defined requirements
Full scale testing to match commercial application conditions:
- Aero engine mainshafts and gearboxes
- Auxiliary power units
- Landing gear
- Helicopter pitch links
- AS81819 helicopter bearing testing: high speed oscillation with contamination